Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Man and Bear

There is a note about the polar bear Knut in today's NY Times. Now let me state at the outset that I know bears. I saw the polar bears at Churchill, the very same who consumed some prior humans I believe and there is of course Bernie Bear, a 400 pound black bear who lives behind our home in New Hampshire. Bernie comes and goes, and at times sits at the edge of the driveway to greet us as we arrive. Man and bear have a strong if at time distant affinity. Bears walk on two feet, frequently, and are often at the top of the food chain, humans included.

The Times article seems to state the coolness and aloofness of the Berlin Zoo head, well for those of us who have worked in Germany that is no surprise. The best oxymoron is German humor, and the second best is German sympathy. Just does not exist in my experience. Russian are "great bears", bolshoi medveds, we Americans respect our bears, Ms. Palin included, yet I never met an Alaskan bear or any brown bear for that matter.

Bears are wonderful creatures at a distance. They are fearless, intelligent, and respectful. Perhaps the German zoo should take notice.