Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Public Servants?

The Hill recounts the current Vice President's demand to spend hundreds of billion stimulating the economy by paying for more teachers (my daughter is one), police officers (he calls them cops, but as the son and grand son of New York City police officers I prefer to use the non-derogatory term), firemen ( both my uncles were New York City firemen, never used the term fire fighters, they were a Captain and Battalion Chief), I find this rather unsettling.

"... chastised Senate Republicans Wednesday for putting millionaires before teachers and first responders because of their opposition to the latest Democratic jobs bill.

“I don’t know where these guys live,” said Biden, implying that GOP leaders have fallen out of touch with the concerns of average Americans. 

“The critics say this costs money. Surprise, surprise — it does cost money,” Biden added. “My dad used to say if everything’s equally important to you, nothing’s important. Everything’s about priorities.”

Well my dad used to say the Government always spent too much and especially on themselves. In New Jersey we have police officers who get $125,000 per year and more and retire with half million dollar pensions because the find ways to jack up the last years salary which is all they need. Teachers have several assistants, aides, and administrators and they get well over $100,000 per year plus full free benefits and pensions that exceed their salaries.

And not one of these people created a job. My father did, he started his own electricians business and hired quite a few people and created value. Police, well it depends. In New York, Newark, and a few other places I would agree. But in many towns there are probably too many and most are over paid, especially in New Jersey. Teachers, well my daughter teaches in est Virginia, and I gather the pay is not New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, and the like.

The problem is not buying off more union votes it is frankly just the opposite. It is paying them less, as was the case with my father, who in what little spare time he had he created his own company. That created jobs, not the New York City Police Force, God bless them.

The current insanity in Washington is to spend more money for things that will never create jobs. They just do not get it, I guess that is what comes from never having had one.