Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Oh If Only A Garden

A write for the NY Times praises gardens and bemoans lawns.

Now I tried this on my front garden, but alas to no avail. The rodent deer ate every plant, every one, no matter what I did, no matter what I used. I even got a Daisy BB gun but NJ gun laws were so strict I left it in New Hampshire. There we have wolves so no worry. But in New Jersey the monsters eat everything, except grass. So we have lawns.

So when I read some writer denigrating lawns and praising the gardens I know he is no real gardener. He has not gone to war with the deer. As he says:

But when it comes to the eye of the beholder, weeds are the same thing as beauty: to a gardener, grass is a weed; a row of lettuce surrounded by dark, grassless soil a thing of beauty. To some gardeners,  including me, dandelions are a crop.

No my friend, grass is a sign of defeat, I have the town approved fence, the barrier between me and total evil. I let the squirrels in and the chipmunks, rabbits, but not the deer. There are days when they sit outside the fence, their evil eyes peering through, those deadly teeth just waiting to munch, to destroy, to eliminate. Do they eat grass, NO! So let them eat grass.