Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Use Yah Blinkah!

Driving in Massachusetts I saw the lighted road warnings which said:

"Use Yah Blinkah"

Now not being from the Bay State, yet having lived there for a few decades, I assumed that perhaps it had meaning. The first thing that came to mind was the Russian word for apple, yablonka, and I wondered why I was being told to use my apple. Three more signs and I finally understood that it was a dialect. Like Sicilian in Italy. Understood from Naples and South but try not to use it in Florence and North.

The I thought that folks like me would go through the same set of distracting questions as to what this meant. In New York and New Jersey we have Turn Signals and we need to Signal Changes in lanes. Thus a Failure to Signal is an infraction. I then wondered if in the Commonwealth a Failure to Blinkah or Blinker was the same infraction.

On the other hand this is what apparently keep Massachusetts one of the highest taxed States. People coming up with these distractions. If you did that in New Jersey...well I will let the Gov tell you what happens!