Thursday, February 28, 2013

Another On Line Experience

I have previously written in the EdX programs and had expressed concerns. Specifically my major concern was that one found problems that could have been mediated by internal directions or by not over relying on external sources. The first problem was lack of discovering how to enter an equation and the second having to download and rely upon third party software, and thus not focusing on the course but some software package which one may not ever use.

I have just complete a Coursera course on of all things Equine Nutrition. Why, well frankly it was a mistake but I thought why not. Well I just finished it today and frankly it was quite useful. Unlike EdX it was simple, a five week course, and despite the Scottish accent of the Instructor it was interesting and enlightening. I actually learned something beside how Coursera works. Yes I passed and did reasonably well, so I found it rather useful. Much simpler than the MIT course, but somewhat akin.

Is there a future here? I now have several benchmarks, EdX, Coursera, and my Harvard Medical CME courses. The CME courses are lectureless, you just had better know or relearn the materials, but they are focused and intense. The Coursera are apparently for a wider intro audience and are just fine.

It will be interesting to see how these evolve but my thanks to the Coursera folks, a fine job well done!