Saturday, November 12, 2016

Harvard and Assumptions

As expected a Harvard Professor believes that those without a proper education led to what occured this week. He states:

....back in July, I noted that the Brexit vote was strongly correlated with education. The recent presidential election shows the same pattern: "College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%."  The graph below shows that it is unusual for the more educated and less educated to be in such substantial disagreement.

I know a lot of PhDs, Ds, DDS, DMD etc who may disagree. As one somewhat trained in the sciences, engineering is close, we all too often ask, why? Why did this occur. We also note that the polls were totally off. Why? The conclusion reached above may be nothing more than the "echo chamber" effect. Look at the evidence. Then ask, why? If the PhDs, MDs, etc did vote other than how they do at Harvard, why?

Frankly I do not have an answer but after eight years writing the blog I have learned that a lot that comes out of the Yard is oftentimes truly "echo chamber" in character. After all if my next door Professor thinks that way why not all the world?

But what of the folks in West Virginia, where frankly coal has killed a lot of jobs. What do they think? Should all decisions be made by PhDs? I know I have made a few bad judgements and I am not even an economist!

Do I believe the graph alluded to? Not after this past election.