Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Earth Day 2010



















These are some of my 4000 Hemerocallis seedlings planted this Spring from crosses I made last year. My species plants from China, Russia, Japan and Korea are budding out. We now have over 500 registered hybrids, most of the world's species, and thousands of hybrids that I have created over the years. In addition I have planted 120 trees in the last three years on the edge of the land to keep the nasty deer out, squirrels are fine as are chipmunks. But deer, pure rodents.

I remember the first Earth Day in 1970 on the MIT campus. Hundreds of city kids gathering for a song fest, and perhaps some meeting dates for the day, and bemoaning the fate of the planet. Now forty years later there are some of us who actually do something to get plants and a few animals back into the eco system. We have planted tens of thousands of these hybrids in New Hampshire on the mountain side behind our home and it is the same latitude as their homes in China and the other parts of Asia. Hopefully they find it a fine new home.

So for my many plants. Happy Earth Day and I hope your pollen finds a friendly partner!