Saturday, August 27, 2022

The Arrogance of the Entitled

 The NY Times has a headline:

You Want an Electric Car With a 300-Mile Range? When Was the Last Time You Drove 300 Miles?

Well for years I drove back and forth twice a week to MIT/Harvard from New Jersey. Or from New Jersey to DC. It was 250 miles each way and through heavy commuter traffic. Why drive? Trains are unreliable and would take six to sever hours each way. A plane is equally unreliable and you need transport at the other end. 

I got a fantastic amount of work done and created tons of valuable stuff. I averaged 1,000 miles per week. Then if I were to go to my home in New Hampshire it is 400 miles each way.

So despite the uneducated arrogance of the entitled elite, even me with my doctoral degrees etc drove to create value for this nation. As do the millions who do this daily, electricians, carpenters, plumbers etc. 

Perhaps one should get out of their limos or Ubers and see what makes America work before destroying it.

Now the real question unanswered is how much energy is used to charge these vehicles? From ocean wind farms, to rural solar arrays, we have a grossly ineffective network for power interconnection. There are multiple single points of failure. If one of these points is compromised, as is all too often the case in JCP&L territory then we get stalled cars everywhere!

Just some thoughts.