Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Words Mean Something, I Think

 The NY Times notes the following:

A Harvard-trained economist with outside-the-mainstream views. Mr. Navarro is a former a professor at the University of California, Irvine, who holds a doctorate from Harvard. He is one of the only credentialed economists in Mr. Trump’s inner circle.

Now I do not know this fellow and I know even less about trade. In fact I am not a fan of economists period so having just one may even be a good idea. But that is not the point either.

The NY Times had a style book and editors. So here is where I am going off the track. One trains a dog, a horse, maybe even a mouse. One never trains a cat, but I leave that to cat lovers. Harvard "educates" people, MIT even does that. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts used to have Training Schools for Juvenile Delinquents. But Universities, especially Harvard, do not "train" people.

Thus I ask the noble NY Times, why did you select this verb? It most likely is not allowed in your style book, and its usage, besides being derogatory, states that the article is political and not factual. One perhaps must reject all of its contents.

Now on to tariffs. Everyone one seems to be for free trade, even the President suggested the elimination of tariffs. But it may be perhaps of value if someone could lay out the current tariffs. Let's just start with Canada. Having a home on northern New Hampshire I always see a constant flow of trucks from Quebec coming south, even with wood. That is somewhat like bringing coals to Newcastle but then again I never spent any time in the lumber trade.

So my point is simple. Stay with the facts. Harvard has not trained anyone since pre-WW II NROTC units and tariffs really need to be let out in the sunshine. Oh yes, and for the economists, perhaps zero is a good number.