Sunday, October 7, 2018

Highway Billboards?

I have had a few Kindles over the years and this one seems unique. I went and got a new one due to the features promised. Technically it works well. Not great but well. It has a good wifi/bluetooth system, it has a reasonable email and web browser. Not great but OK. It seems quite well built and very light. It charges well, and seems to hold the charge. I got it to update the older one I had which works fine but I thought a bit heavy and wanted to see what was new. Overall I am satisfied with the platform.

However, I am reminded of all the billboards on roads when I was a kid in the late 40s and early 50s. Billboard after billboard, garish sign after garish sign, and then strip malls along every highway in New Jersey. It made a Garden State landscape into a cluttered entry to Hades. How does this relate to this device, simply Amazon has packed everything into it to sell you something. There are apps for everything and anything they want to pitch. Take audible, I read, I write (17 books) but I do not waste time listening to someone preach about a book. So why can't I get rid of this? Took an hour to find out but I think I did. Then they push the Washington Post. Stop already, if I want to read the Post then I will, do not shove it down our throats.

Then come the game pop ups. Seems every time you restart, not reboot, you get endless pop ups for games. I do not play games, and I certainly have no interest in the onse Amazon is pitching. Yet each time you go to the Kindle another few horrible games.

Then, wallpaper! It seems that computer programmers think every use wants a nice picture of some scene for wallpaper. No, I just want to find what I am looking for and not to have to wander through useless visual dissonance! Solution is simple. I took a picture of a black poster board and used that. Worked well.

Finally, there is no instruction manual. I had to resort to the old computer dictum; if all else fails, getting a computer to work is like sex, just keep pushing the buttons until it works (sorry for the digression but it was an old MIT rule).

So is it worth it? On the one hand, yes, cheap, and if you are willing to work through the chaff, it is not bad. On the other hand I am bringing my old first generation Kindle with me, not this one. Pity, in my opinion a great platform got ruined by over exuberant marketing types, and wild "if I like it, everyone must like it" millennials.