Monday, November 18, 2019

Moses and the Lost Tablet?

The Bishop of Rome seems to have discovered the lost tablet that Moses had forgotten to recover. As he notes:

Instead, an elementary sense of justice would require that certain conduct, for which corporations are usually responsible, does not go unpunished. In particular, all those that can be considered as “ecocide”: the massive contamination of air, land and water resources, the large-scale destruction of flora and fauna, and any action capable of producing an ecological disaster or destroying an ecosystem. We must introduce – we are thinking about it – in the Catechism of the Catholic Church the sin against ecology, the ecological sin against the common home, because it is a duty.

I can recall my early days of Catechism, and learning the ins and outs of the Ten Commandments. The one that always intrigued me was "Thou shalt not covet they neighbor's wife." Now the lady next door was not a nice person and no matter how I tried to twist the interpretation I could never envision that happening. 

Now along come the Bishop of Rome with "ecocide". I looked through the Bible as best I could and as best I can see there was no such sin. But that does not seem to stop the folks back there in Rome. Did Moses forget this one, had he broken it? Had he just thought that since he had all these folks in a desert for such a long time that worrying about tree and flowers would be a bit too much.

I thought that God handed down the laws and that we were to follow. I wonder when this snuck in and also if there may be other tablets yet to be found.