Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Neologisms

Now I have no horse in this race but from a logical and philosophical perspective I find this area interesting, albeit a bit confusing. In a recent NEJM paper[1], the authors introduce a plethora of terms that are a bit befuddling to us common folk.  Permit me to introduce them:

 1. Science denialism: I gather it means that science and scientific “facts” exist and are unalterable and that there is some class which denies these facts. The problem of course is that scientific facts oftentimes have a lifetime less than a pi meson.

 2. Transgender and gender-expansive (TGE) people: I get the first part of TGE but the term relating to GE is elusive. I can concatenate the two words but they are still mystifying.

 3. Gender-affirming: I gather this has something to do with stating how one desires to be considered independent of XX and XY chromosome existence. Yet this is somewhat in conflict with the first since XX and XY are scientific and rejecting them would be denial, I think.

 4. Transitioned change their gender expression: I gather this is some action on a gender expression. Now a gender expression seems to be a non-genetic expression of how one desires to be perceived in society.

 The above mentioned article continues in the manner. I guess I can see how many are confused.