Friday, May 3, 2019

Microsoft and Control of Their Customer

They did it again. Microsoft snuck in and rearranged my desk top. You see, if you are like me, your desk is a bit messy as you work, but underneath that mess you really know where everything is.

For example you have imprinted in your brain the Excel icon when you go through your daily process of working on a few spreadsheets. The same for Word. Massive visual dissonance, smashing through my limbic system.

But wait! Sometime in the past twenty four hours Microsoft snuck into my computer and changed the icons, reshuffled my entire life! I never knew they were even here. I automatically turned to my Excel icon, GONE! There was this stranger, in fact three strangers, looking up at me. Who were these new icons, dare I click on them, were they Russian plants, Chinese intruders?

NO! They were Microsoft letting me know they were in total control. I kind of am reminded of this every time I try to work on an older machine in my lab but it keeps trying to update a W10 from 1703 to whatever. I think of the mega hours/days spent trying to work around another Microsoft blunder.

But my sacred desktop, never before have these brutes tried that. But now I know how to work around them. I saw where they hid these things. I wonder if I can revert to my old desk top, perhaps I will try.

This act is akin to say the movement of a mass of tubas into the string section of a symphonic orchestra, or the placement of axes on the surgical tray in a neurosurgical suite.  It not only creates visual dissonance but disrupts one's total mindset.

The real problem is that Microsoft does not have the common courtesy to even ask no less let you know what happened. The just come in an rearrange stuff. It is like that old college roommate who had the annoying tendency to move all your stuff around for his own personal benefit.

Bur remember, Microsoft is always watching you! Like the Devil himself!