Friday, May 10, 2019

They are at it again!


 One of the current Presidential candidates espouses the oft heard crie de coeur that we hear justifying increasing Government control. She states[1]:

Nobody in America succeeds on their own. Government-funded labs are fueling world-changing innovations. Much of American wealth was built through government-sponsored home equity. Strong American businesses are powered by American workers educated in public schools. Their goods are brought to market on roads funded by taxpayers.

Now I humbly object. My success, simple as it may have been, was all accomplished outside of the US. I got my Irish citizenship and started companies in twenty countries, Russia, Poland and Czech Republic being the best ones. In the US, I was inhibited by one Government entity after another. The FCC awarded Pioneer Preference licenses in wireless to two companies which were backed by massive existing news entities. Any chance I could have won there? No, too political and I was not a player.

I tried again, and again we found we had to construct a company to meet the structures demanded by the Government, along their own specific preference lines. So we actually did that and then we saw what happened when one group claimed issues against another. The Government mandated structure to satisfy political constructs. The only country in the world that mandated how we were to operate! Russia was a competitive haven, at the time.

Even my US subsidiary was plague with power failures here in New Jersey, move the main thing to Prague, more reliable, and by Government overhead that just drove costs up.

Was there anything that I relied upon in the US Government? Yes, one thing, that I had to move the entire company to the Czech Republic. We built out fiber in Central and Eastern Europe, no Government help, especially the US. We all paid our US taxes, but the benefits that are alleged above were naught.

Oh yes, public schools. Never saw any. We went to parochial schools where we paid. My paper route and lifeguard salaries paid for High School, and other jobs through College. I did not go to Rutgers, I did at MIT and paid tuition. Although then there were not as many Deans mandated by the Government so tuition was low; about $1200 a year in the early 60s!

The Candidate continues:

Here's the thing — I grew up on the ragged edge of the middle class in a family with a tight budget and no room for error. My parents worked hard and did the best they could, but when I was 12 years old, my Daddy had a heart attack. Everyone thought he was going to die. He came back home, but he couldn't work. There was no net to catch my family. We lost our station wagon and would have lost our house if my mother hadn't saved our family by going out and getting her very first job outside the home — a minimum wage job answering phones at Sears.

We all have our trials and tribulations. My father and his six siblings were thrown into an orphanage after their mother died of TB at the young age of 32. Try that on for size for trials. No nets? My first job was at ten, mowing lawns for a quarter. Try and find any ten year old doing that today! Many people have stresses growing up. It is part of life and often defines who we are to become, depending on how we respond to those challenges. Welcome to Darwin. I have been working for 66 years, paid into Medicare every year since it began and into Social Security since 1959! Still do. But then again these folks want to take this away, those "benefits" we had paid for, and the economy we helped to build, globally.

As for cars, we never had one for years. The first family care was a beat up 1939 Plymouth, blanched red, large round lights, wool seats, torn. I remember polishing it a dozen times so I would not be embarrassed with all the new cars up and down the street. We walked everywhere, including shopping. It was a mile and a half to the A&P and during the Korean War we still had rationed food; meat and butter and sugar. But there were no obese kids.

So when I hear Candidates bemoan as above, I see people who have little understanding into what make for success in a business. It is hard work, good luck, and trying to avoid the ever increasing burden of the Government!