Monday, February 6, 2023

"Look Up!"

My mother sent me once to NYC to pick up shoes for my sister. The shoe store was in the Empire State Building and I was still in grammar school, 8th grade I believe. I managed to get from Staten Island to 34th street and up to street level. Unfortunately I had been given no address for the Empire State building by my mother. She was a classic New Yorker who thought that everyone knew where the building was. But 34th street is a long block and to me, an address was essential. 

Thus I walked around yet in classic New York fashion I refrained from asking anyone where the building was. Finally I took a few coins in my pocket, reserved only for a crisis,and called my mother. I asked her what was the address of the Empire State Building. Her answer stuck with me for the rest of my life, she said bluntly, "Look Up!" She then hung up the phone. So I looked up, and behold, there it was, just to my left and a few blocks down. Now off to the shoe store, but I had to remember my bread crumbs to return!

Well this applies to our recent ChiCom balloon as well, someone just looked up. Not that they were hiding anything. I recall that I even saw Sputnik as it flew by and monitored its beeps on my Hallicrafters short wave radio. But that is another story for another time!