Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Passing of Norman Lear

 Mr Lear was a prolific presenter of American culture. I had met him some 30 years ago and had the honor of spending a night at his home. He was a cordial and considerate gentleman. He understood parts of American culture and through his comedy presented it good and bad sides. I never said this to him but in a sense he reminded me of my namesake, Terentius Publius Afer, Terence, the Roman comedy writer. Terence managed to extract in a comedic manner the good and bad of Roman life and had the Romans laugh at themselves, seeing many of their faults. My favorite was The Mother In Law, in a sense an Archie Bunker of the 2nd Century BC Rome. Mr Lear will be remembered as the Terence of the 20th century and his work may be an influence in the centuries to come.