Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Neighbors

 I was intrigued by the NY Times piece on the Supreme Court Justice's family and their neighbor problem. In my experience neighbors can fall into three categories. First those one just says hello to and then we all go about our own way. Second, the intruders who either verbally or physically become pests up to and including malicious trespass. Third, the friend type, where one visits the other etc. I prefer the first. You stay on your side of the fence and I stay non mine. I wave hello and that is about it. The second are hell on earth. They tear up your property markers, cut your trees and shrubs, kill off your plants, or create massive water run off flooding your basement. Then there are the self possessed and privileged annoyers who call you things, put up signs, and have a felling of self worth that exceeds that of God. I had this when I lived on Staten Island as a child, Mrs. A, who guarded her driveway like a Storm Trooper. 

The NY Times piece is a classic example of such a case. I suspect that given it is the Times it is hardly balanced. However the solution is to move, far enough away so that your neighbors are out of site. No neighbors, no problem. Pity