Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Me and Dolly

 In August of 1981 I started work at Warner Communications at 75 Rockefeller Plaza. I did not have to arrive until about noon, so by 11 AM I was entering into the building on the south side. My elevator was to the 24th floor. Traffic was low in the lobby so I just walked into an open elevator. Now I am 6' 3" and inside was this 5' buxom blond, wig most likely. It was Dolly Parton! I had now joined the entertainment industry starting day one. I was in my pin striped blue suit from Brooks with a vest! What a contrast.

She looked up at me as if I were the empire state building, I wanted to push the button for 24, but she slapped my hand and said: "I'll push the button young man."

Now at the time I did not realize I was older than her. My first "star", up to the 24th floor. Frankly I was terrified, I had no idea how to deal with these folks. KGB officers were fine, but music folks, not so fine.

Some 25 or so years later when writing a book on my fathers ship, I went to Tennessee and instead of going to the left and Dollywood, I went to the right and visited a retired minister and shipmate of my father's. It was the land where she had come from, before the dress, hair, and glitter, poor but honest folks.

Sad to see her pass, my prayers for her, great person.