Back in the days when I was teaching (MIT, Columbia, GWU, Poly NYU) I used chalk and blackboard. Each lecture had a theme, a point I wanted to get across, and my writings became props for what I wanted to say.
I kept a look out for every students eyes, did they follow or did I get MEGO, "my eyes glazed over" syndrome. I interacted with those so afflicted. In effect each lecture was a one act play with a single actor, and the script was painted on the blackboard. The holding of the chalk, the dust on my jacket, the little comments to see how many were still awake.
Now the advantage was in engineering you gave exams to have the student "show that" in detail. That meant receiving long had written exposes of what they hopefully knew. An A was 90 and above etc. You could not curve the grades a whole lot. They were what they were.
Now in an interesting piece in CATO's web site:
Teachers, like many professionals, have expressed concerns about how AI might change or replace their jobs. AI can certainly help students in ways we traditionally associate with teachers, but it can also expand the reach of a good teacher. Education has evolved with many technologies, and the best teachers have evolved with it. Great teachers won’t be replaced by AI; they’ll be the ones who carefully adapt to it.
Indeed, AI can't catch the "I'm lost" look in a students eye, not can it perform so as to both get the point across as well as create human interaction, by definition.
