Thursday, March 28, 2024

GPS, Not So Much

 The NY Times has a piece of the vulnerability of GPS satellites. I have a long term involvement with GPS. In the 70s I taught a GPS course at GW University, for many sessions. I testified to Sen Kennedy's Committee, who feared Soviet advantage to missile attacks. But more importantly I designed the second backup navigation  system for Apollo, using a sextant and equipment for WW II fire control systems. Never thought it would be used until Apollo 13!

If GPS fails we always have maps and sextants. I still have my grandfathers. Plan Bs are critical. We always must avoid single thread systems. Maps are just fine. I still have a few in my cars. GPS and Garmin may not send me the best way, just their way. My sextant can always tell me where I am, just need a clock. I have a wind up watch! 

We have the problem of abandoning the past for the best of the present. Sometimes the present has problems. Always have a Plan B!!!!!

Perhaps you can rent my sextant and borrow my Bowditch. Worked for centuries.