Sunday, August 22, 2021

Farewell to a Mentor and Good Friend

In 1980 I received an offer to go from DC to Warner Cable in New York to work for Gus Hauser, the Chairman. As one who always looked at challenges and being from NY to begin with, and frankly fed up with Washington, I took the opportunity. I did not know Mr. Hauser nor did I have much knowledge of cable. In fact almost all my previous adventures had been in DoD and related fields. So off I went to 75 Rock on the 24th floor. 

Gus taught me more each day than one could learn in a lifetime at the typical American company. He had the uncanny ability to see through the mesh of data and numbers and identify the nub of an issue and its remedy. I think I picked up a bit of that talent over the years.

For 40 years we worked from one project to another. After Cable Gus and I got together on a satellite adventure, Orion, then a wireless adventure, then an international fiber adventure. Each time his insight was invaluable.

But at Warner he had developed QUBE, a two way cable data service that allowed some on line shopping and entertainment. He asked me to upgrade this concept. From that effort in 1982 my team delivered the first two way full motion video on demand system that was called TIES. It was a transaction, information and entertainment system, Amazon but 15 years earlier. We used a variety of early PCs, QUBE modems, and video disc storage. We had a JV with Bank of America, GTE, DEC and Bell Atlantic. Then unfortunately Warner had problems and we were spun out. But as noted it was Gus' idea made real.

After the fiber company I had the honor of helping Gus on many of his philanthropic adventures, applying broadband fiber in education and public service, expanding it to health care just as it was needed in the recent pandemic. 

Gus was a true man of honor and grace, a thinker and doer whose ongoing success was a beacon for many others to follow. I had the privilege to maintain this friendship up to the final days, albeit limited by the pandemic. 

As I built companies across the globe I believe I sent forth many Hauserisms, ways of doing things right and for the right reasons, that meant Gus' legend will live on  in the best actions of many people. The world is a much better place in many ways for Gus having been a part of it. Farewell good friend.