Sunday, September 23, 2018

Why Does Dell Make It So Hard to Buy Something?

I have been buying Dell Computers since they started selling, very early 1990s. We have had hundreds and hundreds over the years. As a business customer you have to go to a business line. But that you get to via their normal line.

Now here is the problem.

1. All customer services now use IP telephony. Sorry but I started this some 25 years ago globally, and I presented a paper some 20 years ago in Italy about the poor quality of IP voice. Well it has just gotten worse. Really, old copper had great voice quality. The old Bell System was proud of that. Then came the Internet and digitized compressed voice.

2. Then add to this the fact that they must outsource everything to India. Add the packet delay, to the voice compression, to the accent, to the lack of understanding of English, to the fact that they use scripts...well you see where I am going.

3. After a long period it became clear I could not buy a computer from them, I had to wait till a week day and speak with the business sales.

4. I sent an email asking what number and when to call, this is what I received:

***THIS IS AN AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT - - DO NOT REPLY***
Thank you for contacting Dell's Pre-Sales Support. We've received your message and look forward to serving you!

 5. Got it folks, but who do I call and when to get served? Really, no clue from this message.

I do not think Dell really wants to sell anything, at least to the small business person. Over the years we spent about $20 million but to Dell we must be a pimple of the ... of eternity to get their attention. Hopefully someone is home there at sometime. 

I just want to buy something folks! Hello, anyone there?