Monday, July 5, 2021

Assuming is the Arrogance of Youth

 In the current on line generation, the young programmers implementing software assume that everyone is like them. Those not like them should learn or get out of the way. 

Let me give an example. 

Amazon has changed its return process. Now you must scan the QR code on the smart phone and then find a Whole Foods store to display the scan and return the package. 

Consider the assumptions:

1. One must have a smart phone. Now many people do but not all.

2. You have a QR scanner on a smart phone. Namely you understand what that means, then you can find one, then you can install it, then you can scan it, and then you can display it. Lots of assumptions.

3. You must find a Whole Foods store. For many of us "normal" humans not seeking the high priced poor service of such store we first may not know where they are and second do not really want to travel across the State to one.

Look at all the assumptions. They are clearly the product of some west coast elite and arrogant programmer at a company who cares less for its customers.

Bottom line, assumptions of the youth are the basis of a catastrophic collapse.

And worse, these arrogant folks will become senior managers and worse, politicians!

OK, this gets better. I managed to get my QR code, printed it out, will not give Amazon access to my phone, and then off to Whole Foods. It is like Harvard Square in 1969, less the Mary Jane smoke. A bunch of middle aged hippie "wanna bes" all in masks, buying their overpriced produce. I wander around and then find the Amazon area. No luck. But a nice Hispanic employee comes over asking if I need help. Yes, and she showed me the drop off area. I go over there and there is some employee eating her tray of fried chicken looking at me as if I were some existential bother. She finally comes over wearing the compulsory Whole Foods mask behind the plexiglass shield, in our county with no infections in a week and 90% of the people immune, counting all ages. She tears open the box, scans my printed QR code, throws the box back at me saying she does not take my boxes. That's it! Customer Service Soviet style!